In this digital era, everything is about efficiency. Learning is no more just book-based as in the last generation. Due to the easy access to internet, YouTube and Facebook, we are blessed with many good listening choices. However on the downside, we are often being overloaded information that leads to unproductive distraction & wasteful energy.
Back to the topic on why I prefer Teacher Alice’s webinars –
1) First and foremost – it’s her approach in studying a new work regardless of level of difficulties. The background research of each composer she provided is thorough and her Zoom presentations are interactive & engaging while setting the right “mood and sound” even before touching the piano.
2) Layering—mastery through comprehensive study of a subject through understanding relevant materials under the scopes of Analysis, Structure & Form and Harmony. Chords, the building blocks of music are especially covered & highlighted with vibrant colours at length.
3) Fingerings—how we should synchronise hand movements with proper fingerings on the piano.
4) Emphasis on rhythm and tempo—clearly written-out charts in big notes for hand, verbal and
clapping coordination is really effective. Polyrhythm (eg. 2 against 3) jamming with chords is helpful.
5) I pretty like the way she sings out the intermingling voice parts. A good reminder of my earlier tough training days – singing Tenor part while playing on piano – the 2 outer voice parts of Bach’s 3-part Inventions during my Solfege lectures then.
6) Precious advice on foot pedaling, producing & managing beautiful tone colors with practical trouble shooting.
All these help me to choose & decide the right piece for my students – which really matters most to any teacher of passion. Thank you Teacher Alice for your guide & devotion.